Looking to work for Amazon, but not sure if they offer work visas? Read on to find out if Amazon provides work visas for international candidates, and what the requirements and process may be. Our comprehensive guide will help you understand your options and make informed decisions about pursuing employment at Amazon.
Working for an international company can be a great way to build your career and find rewarding work. But before you start applying for jobs with foreign employers, it's important to know what work visas are available.
It's no secret that Amazon is a worldwide powerhouse. With operations all around the globe, the company has a massive reach and employs thousands of people in various countries. Amazon also employs many workers internationally. This makes Amazon a strong candidate to offer work visas to employees they want to hire, regardless of their immigration status or how long they've been living in another country. Read on for more information about Amazon work visas.
Table Of Contents
Does Amazon Offer Work Visas?
A special work visa program is available for Amazon employees in I.T. and other specialized fields. Many types of work visas are available, but H-1B, L-1A, L-1B, and E-1 are the most common types offered by Amazon.
- H-1B Visa (Specialized Occupations and Fashion Models): People with this classification provide services outside the U.S. but are temporarily in the country for other reasons, such as cooperative research for the Department of Defense or specialized services. Many people in this category come from other countries, such as India and China, but also include Canadians and Europeans. Many technical fields, such as computer programming and information technology, fall under this classification, but many non-technical occupations qualify for this visa.
- L-1A Visa(Intracompany Transferee Executive or Manager): This visa allows a U.S. employer to transfer workers, especially an executive or manager, from its affiliated offices to the U.S. This allows companies that do not yet have an office in the United States to send an executive or manager to establish the position.
- L-1B Visa (Intracompany Transferee Specialized Knowledge): Companies may also transfer employees with specialized knowledge and skills to the United States on L-1B nonimmigrant visas. A representative could also be sent to help establish a U.S. headquarters for companies that lack one.
- E-1 Visa (Treaty Trader): International traders who are citizens of qualifying countries who wish to enter the U.S. solely for business purposes are eligible for E-1 classification. The E-1 designation is also available to certain employees.
Visas can only be obtained by workers who Amazon has offered jobs. The cost of visas in 2022 is $190 plus associated fees.
How Can I Work For Amazon If I Am Not A U.S. Citizen?
Workers who are not U.S. citizens must have a work visa to work in the U.S. Workers' employment status determines the type of work visa they need. For instance, applicants who are not U.S. citizens and do not have residency in the United States must meet certain requirements before applying for a job at Amazon. These include:
- Proof that they will reside outside of the United States during their employment period (such as travel documents or a lease)
- Evidence that they can support themselves financially during their stay in the country (such as bank statements)
- Proof that they will not become a public charge within one year of entering the U.S.
- Evidence that they have health insurance coverage while working at Amazon's facilities.
The program is open to individual applicants who meet certain requirements and have valid passports, visas, and other documents proving their eligibility. Applicants must be able to meet all requirements outlined by Amazon before they can apply for a job with the company.
How Can International Workers Apply For A Work Visa To Work For Amazon?
The visa application process starts after you become an employee since USCIS requires several documents from your employer. Visas are only available to Amazon employees who have already applied for and accepted a job with Amazon in the United States.
Your employer must file a completed I-129 form (Request for a Federal Employment Certification). For visa applications to begin, this is the most important document! Before filing petitions with USCIS for some work visas, specifically the H-1B, employers must obtain certifications from the Department of Labor.
Government agencies need this certification to demonstrate that U.S. employers need foreign workers to fill positions for citizens who cannot or won't do these jobs. This certification also ensures that temporary migrant workers do not slash American jobs, a potentially detrimental situation for the country. The following documents must also be submitted once the application has been filed and all preconditions have been met:
- A passport
- A Visa Photo
- Obtain the Petition Receipt Number from Form I-129
- The confirmation page for the completed online DS-160 application for a nonimmigrant visa
- Applicants must submit a receipt for their application fee (currently $190. However, there may be associated fees.)
- Evidence of your intention to return home (for example, relationships, financial records, leases, etc.)
- When applying for an L-Visa, bring Form I-129S Nonimmigrant Petition Based on Blanket L Petition.
The application process begins immediately after all the documents have been gathered. Here is the process:
1. Form DS-160 Nonimmigrant Visa Application
You must complete the form DS-160( Nonimmigrant Visa Application) here. Print the confirmation page after that. Ensure the information in this form is accurate since the embassy can deny a visa application if the applicant submits the wrong information. Responses must also be submitted in English, despite the document being available in multiple languages.
2. Schedule Visa Interview
As soon as the embassy receives your application, an interview with a visa officer will be scheduled. You should schedule your interview as soon as possible since U.S. Embassies receive many applications daily.
3. Attend the Visa Interview
It is important to dress appropriately and arrive on time for the interview to get a visa. All questions asked by the interviewer must also be answered truthfully and completely. Even though visa interviewers are not conducting a criminal investigation, they are trained to spot false statements. When an interviewer receives inaccurate information, they are likely to deny the application for a visa.
4. Fingerprinting And Fees
The applicant must be fingerprinted after completing the interview. An additional fee may be charged by the country that issues the visa.
Applying for a work visa to Amazon can be complex, but getting a job with the company is possible if you meet all the requirements. The best way to increase your chances of success is to ensure that you have all the documents and complete the application process correctly.