This post will delve deep into a head to head comparison between Tempur-Pedic and Sleep Number, to see which makes the cut first
This close-up comparison looks deep into the pros and cons of each competitive brand, focusing on distinct areas that matter when considering the best quality mattress. Tempur-Pedic has been around for quite a while and is a brand that is renowned for creating great mattresses made of premium materials, memory foam for comfort and springs or foam that offer high levels of support. In general, Tempur-Pedic is thought to offer more quality beds compared to Sleep Number and has an offering of about 15 models at the moment.
Sleep Number, on the other hand, offers a wide range of mattresses to choose from, starting from their Classic Series, and moving on to Performance, Innovation, and 360 Smart Beds, which come with enhanced smart technology as their name implies. Their mattresses are priced mid to high, and they are all made with one basic principle in mind: they are built with an adjustable air pump, which allows changing the mattress firmness to suit your preference.
How do the two compare though? Since there are many mattresses offered by the two brands, we will focus on two similar models from each company, and compare them below.
Tempurpedic and Sleep Number stand as prominent mattress brands, each offering distinct mattress types tailored to diverse sleep styles and preferences. Below is an in-depth comparison of these two brands:
Table Of Contents
- Memory Foam: Uses proprietary Tempur memory foam as the comfort layer. Provides deep contouring and pressure relief.
- Feel: Mattresses feel more enveloping and "hugging" compared to Sleep Number.
- Motion Isolation: Tempurpedic offers excellent motion isolation due to the memory foam.
- Firmness and Price Range: Models range from soft to very firm feels. Prices span from $1,500 to over $4,500.
- Satisfaction Ratings: Above average owner satisfaction ratings for comfort, support, and durability. Expected lifespan of 7-10 years.
- Cooling: Cooling and airflow is a common complaint of the memory foam. Models with cooling gel help.
- Adjustable Air Chambers: Relies on adjustable air chambers for customized firmness and support.
- Pressure Relief: Provides adequate pressure relief but doesn't contour as closely as memory foam.
- Customization: Air chambers allow each partner to dial in their own firmness level.
- Advanced Features: Advanced models include temperature balancing, position adjustment, and sleep tracking.
- Durability: Mixed durability - ranges from 2-3 years up to over 10 years with proper maintenance.
- Price Range: Prices range from $600 to $3,000+ depending on features.
- Maintenance: Significant maintenance required to prevent air chamber issues.
Tempurpedic specializes in deeply contouring memory foam while Sleep Number offers personalized adjustability. Tempurpedic is seen as more reliably durable but Sleep Number offers unique customization. It's essential to consider your specific needs, preferences, and budget when choosing between the two brands. It's also a good idea to test the mattresses in-store if possible to find the best fit for your preferences and needs.
Tempur-Pedic vs Sleep Number (Overall comparison)
|Not great if you…||
|Check mattress brand||Tempur-Pedic mattress||Sleep Number Bed Review|
Tempur-Pedic vs Sleep Number (Detailed comparison)
|Top cover||Most of the Tempur-Pedic models consist of a blend of polyester and spandex, which makes for a breathable blend, soft feeling and quite stretchy.||These beds usually feature a soft, breathable knit fabric or a luxurious soft, knit fabric.|
|Foam layers||Tempur-Pedic mattresses usually feature 4 layers, including double layers of visco-elastic memory foam, and two bottom layers of polyurethane foam.||
|Construction||These are probably some of the most supportive mattresses you will find. Still, Sleep Number offers comparable support.||Incredibly enough, Sleep Number beds tend to offer slightly better support than Tempur-Pedic mattresses, although there have been issues with sagging and troublesome middle part of their mattresses.|
|Edge support||Tempur-Pedic mattresses don’t respond as well to the expectations for providing exceptional edge support. This issue is frequently reported among consumers||These beds don’t seem to lack in edge support and so you can use your Sleep Number bed for eating and sitting on the edge.|
|Tempur-Pedic mattresses perform really well in this area, as the show minimal to none motion transfer. Definitely a winner based on consumers’ feedback.||Sleep Number beds have some issues with motion transfer, which is not uncommon given that we are talking about air beds really.|
|Whether we are talking about the Breeze models or not, there have been complaints about sleeping relatively hot, due to the fact that these mattresses feature a higher density and people sink in deeper into them.||This is a field where Sleep Number performs better as most buyers sleep really cool.|
Value for money
Please Note: The prices you see have been recently updated, but are subject to change due to promotions and other factors. Consequently, we can't guarantee real-time accuracy of the prices. Be aware that costs and product availability may vary over time. Please refer to our Price Disclaimer for more information.
||Sleep Number beds cost start at $900 and can reach up to $5,000, for the 360 Smart Series, which is really a lot. Still, the average price for a Queen is about $2,300, which is quite cheaper compared to what a Tempur-Pedic costs.|
Smell – eco-friendly standards
||This is an area where Sleep Number performs better as it appears to have minimal smell and no off gassing.|
|Your new mattress will arrive via free White Glove Delivery from Wayfair in about 7 days after placing your order.||
Trial and warranty/ return policy
Final VerdictAs it seems from the above comparison, the two brands, Tempur-Pedic and Sleep Number are close in terms of the quality offered for their consumers. While there is a considerable difference between the cost for each, and Tempur-Pedic models appear to be more expensive, it is only a matter of which model you will compare to, since Sleep Number also offers some really expensive models.
Taking the price issue aside, both mattresses deliver big and perform well in terms of support and comfort. Whereas Sleep Number seems to be a bit more supportive, Tempur-Pedic is probably better as far as comfort.Motion isolation is better than average in Tempur-Pedic as well, and there are fewer complaints from consumers regarding this issue, compared to Sleep Number Beds.
In addition, Tempur-Pedic seems to respond better in terms of firmness options available, despite you can adjust the air in Sleep Number beds.Both brands appear to offer substantial pressure relief and ease from back and neck or other pain, however, Tempur-Pedic consumers report fewer complaints about new pain. On the other hand, Tempur-Pedic mattresses are made with higher density and so people tend to sink deeper into them. In this respect, Sleep Number beds are more appropriate for elderly or injured people.
Sleep Number offers better trial and warranty policy, which is always important, however despite they are reportedly more durable and resilient, buyers complain that their mechanism often breaks down. On the other hand, it seems to have minimal to no odor and off-gassing, unlike Tempur-Pedic mattresses which tend to show a rather strong smell upon unpacking.
So, all things considered, it is never a clear-cut decision on which brand on the mattress is better, and it all comes down to personal taste and weighting each product’s pros and cons to decide which is best for you.
To sum up
Tempurpedic and Sleep Number deliver top-tier mattresses boasting distinctive characteristics to accommodate diverse sleep preferences. When choosing between the two, consider your specific requirements, preferences, and budget. If possible, try out the mattresses in-store to find the ideal match for your needs.
- Utilizes high-density memory foam that responds to body shape, weight, and temperature.
- Presents a variety of models featuring diverse firmness levels and attributes.
- Known for exceptional pressure relief and contouring support.
- Typically comes at a higher cost in comparison to Sleep Number mattresses.
- Offers adjustable air mattresses featuring DualAir Adjustability, enabling personalized firmness adjustment for each side of the bed.
- Incorporates air chambers in mattresses, allowing remote-controlled firmness adjustments.
- Some models include memory foam layers for enhanced comfort.
- Celebrated for customizable comfort and support.