Amazon is an excellent platform for buying and selling products that can often be hard to find elsewhere, but it can also be much harder to get ahold of your items when you send them through.
Amazon is incredible at shipping items, but due to their complicated shipping system and the way they package orders, your packages can get lost or undeliverable. Maybe the shipping address was wrong, or an item goes on backorder, and you didn't get a notice. Maybe your package is just lost in transit or undeliverable. Read on to find out more about Amazon's undelivered packages.
Table Of Contents
Why Does Amazon Say Package Undeliverable?
When your package is returned to Amazon, you'll receive an email alerting you that the package was returned. There are possible reasons for this:
- Incorrect Address: If you provided an incorrect or incomplete address to the sender, it's possible that a delivery attempt was made but was unsuccessful. This can happen if the courier tries to deliver your package to an address other than where it was originally sent from or if they attempted delivery at a location that doesn't accept shipments from Amazon.
- Unrecognized Address: If your postal service has received an incorrect or incomplete address on your package, Amazon cannot deliver it to its destination. Contact the postal service and ask them to correct any errors with your address before sending out another shipment.
- Rejected Delivery: The USPS may have rejected your package because it contained prohibited items (like alcohol or weapons) or because its weight exceeded the maximum allowable limit imposed by law. Here, request that Amazon reship your order using a different carrier or change its shipping service provider (if applicable).
- Restricted address: If you're not at home when a delivery attempt is made, or if someone places the order for you and refuses to give them access to your house, it could mean that your package will be refused by Amazon as undeliverable and returned to sender without being signed for.
- Failed Delivery: This is one of the most common reasons your package gets rejected. The delivery company has failed to deliver your package, marking it as undeliverable. This is because your name and address are incorrect, or the delivery company didn't know where to deliver your package.
- Damaged Goods: Amazon is a common place for packages to be lost or damaged. If you submit a claim for a lost or damaged package and Amazon says your package is undeliverable, the most likely reason is that your package was damaged during transit.
Does Amazon Refund Your Undeliverable Package?
Amazon offers sellers a way to return undeliverable packages. If a package is returned to the seller and does not have an address on the label, Amazon will refund the money paid for shipping fees. Sellers who ship products in bulk often run into this issue, which can also occur when a customer returns an item.
Sellers may also be refunded if a package was shipped to an incorrect address. The seller must contact Amazon Customer Service within 30 days of receiving the returned item to request a refund. Refunds for Amazon undeliverables can be requested if:
- Your package was returned to Amazon.
- The buyer did not respond to your shipping notification.
- The buyer provided a valid tracking number, but Amazon never received the package.
- The package was sent using an incorrect mailing address or incorrect carrier.
- You received a damaged or non-matching order.
- Your package was lost or stolen during shipping.
How to Check The Refund Status of An Undelivered Package?
It's straightforward; here is a detailed description.
Step 1: Visit Amazon.com
Step 2: Create an account if you don't have one, or log in using your account information.
Step 3: At the top of any page is a link called "Your Account." Click on it.
Step 4: Go to "Your Account" and click on "Your Orders." You will see a list of all your Amazon orders.
Step 5: Select your undeliverable order by clicking on the order number. Upon clicking this link, you will be taken to the order details page.
Step 6: In the bottom right-hand corner is a button labeled "Refunds." Besides providing more information about the refund status, clicking this button will provide instructions on what needs to be done next (such as contacting customer service).
What Does It Mean If An Amazon Package Is Undeliverable?
The process of undelivering a package is always free for Amazon customers. However, if the package is not delivered to the address you provided, it will be marked as undeliverable. The shipping carrier will return that package to Amazon, which can be resold at a discount.
What Do I Do If My Package Says Undeliverable?
If your package is marked as undeliverable and you have provided all the information required to deliver your package, you will need to contact the shipping company directly. If a tracking number has been provided, it can be used to track the status of your package.
What Can You Do When Your Address Is Undeliverable?
If your address is undeliverable, you can continue to use the mailing service. You'll need to contact the company and ask them to resend your mail to a new valid address. If you have moved and haven't updated your mailing address with the United States Postal Service, or if you no longer live at the address listed on your account, the post office won't take delivery. You can request a new delivery address online through USPS's Change of Address (COA) tool. You'll need to provide your last name, middle initial, and new address.
Can I Buy An Undelivered Amazon Package?
You can purchase undelivered packages from Amazon.com by following these steps:
Step 1: Sign in to your Amazon account
Step 2: At the top-right corner of the page, click "Your Account.".
Step 3: From the drop-down menu, select "Your Orders.".
Step 4: On the undelivered order, click on the item(s) to view their shipment status (if they have been shipped).
Step 5: Tap on "Manage Delivery Options" beside your desired item. A summary of your order's delivery status and timeline will appear here, including the option of buying an undelivered package if it still needs to be sent.
Unsurprisingly, most issues surrounding packages that cannot be delivered have to do with incorrect or missing addresses. This has caused the biggest delays in delivery time, as customers and Amazon alike have spent many hours trying to track down the correct recipient.