Even though it happens rarely, Amazon may send you the wrong package. If this has happened to you, worry not; this guide contains all the information you need to return the package and get a refund.
For most people, online shopping is a fun experience. The fun is, however, diminished by various factors such as theft and late delivery. Getting a package you didn’t even order is another common mishap. Amazon, being the biggest e-commerce company, undoubtedly deals with some of these problems. With over 1.6 million parcels to ship each daily, there is a possibility of an oversight leading to the problems identified.
So, what should you do if you receive the wrong package from Amazon? Is there a way to return the item and get a refund? Can you get the item swapped? This post contains answers to these and other related topics.
Table Of Contents
I Received the Wrong Package; What Next?
What if you ordered an item but instead received the wrong one? What are your options? Generally, the issue can be resolved by contacting Amazon (or the third-party seller if you bought the item from the marketplace) and asking for a refund or a replacement. Amazon’s return policy gives customers a window of 30 days to return the item after it has been delivered. You should, therefore, not hold on to the package; return it and submit a claim as soon as possible.
If you have received the wrong package from Amazon, don’t worry. There is an easy fix to the problem. The first thing we recommend doing is checking the tracking status for your Amazon order. This is a quick way to tell whether the order you received is yours or someone else’s package was delivered to you by mistake.
- If you receive a shipment you didn't order, verify with your friends and family to be sure it isn't a gift. Alternatively, you can contact Customer Service and ask them directly.
- If the package received wasn’t meant for you, and the tracking status says your package has not been delivered, you should just repackage it and return it to Amazon while you wait for yours.
- If you confirm that the package was indeed addressed to you but wasn’t ordered by you or anyone you know, you should report the package online by filling in the Report Unwanted Package Form.
How to Return The Package to Amazon
If Amazon sends you the wrong item, they will gladly replace it or issue you a refund. Please be aware that you only have 30 days to return an item and request a refund. Depending on the item, Amazon may not accept returns after the 30-day period.
Here is our easy-to-follow guide on how to return a package on Amazon.
- Log in to your Amazon account.
- Go to the “Your Orders” section to view all of your recently placed orders.
- Choose the order you want to return, then the reason for return from the Reason to Return
- Choose a suitable way for how your return should be processed. In this case, select “refund and replacement.” If you purchased the item from a third-party seller on the marketplace, click on the “Submit return request” option.
- Once done, select your preferred return method.
- Print out the provided return and authorization label. Keep in mind that each return has a unique return label. Items from various orders should NOT be included in the same return package. This ensures you get the correct refund.
- If given a return label, add it, then package your items for return.
Returning the package is even easier if you are close to a box-free and label-free location. In this situation, you are not even required to wrap your returned item in a shipping box. Make sure you choose a label-free and box-free return location after completing the online return procedure. You will receive a QR Code that you will use to return the item to the drop-off location.
If you purchased the item from a third-party seller, your return request is reviewed before a refund or a replacement is issued. You should, therefore, make it clear in the return request that you received the wrong package.
If you don’t receive any feedback from the Amazon seller within 2-business days of making the request, you should submit an A-to-Z Guarantee Claim.
How Long Does It Take for The Refund to Be Issued?
It will take Amazon about two weeks to receive the returned item and process the refund. Typically, it takes 3-5 business days after the courier has delivered the item to Amazon for the return to be processed. After the order has been processed, a refund will be made to your preferred payment method.
While waiting for your refund to be processed, you can always check the progress by going to Your Orders > View Return/Refund Status.
If you want your refund to be processed quickly, go for a credit card as your preferred payment method. For credit cards, it takes about 3-5 business days for the refund to be processed. For a debit card, you might have to wait for up to 10 business days.
How to Get The Item Swapped for The Right One
If you don't want to return the item and get a refund, you can ask for a replacement instead. To do so:
- Log in to your Amazon account.
- Go to the “Your Orders” section and select the item you want to be swapped.
- From the “Reason for return” menu, select the “Wrong item sent” option.
Once Amazon has processed your replacement request, a new order with (hopefully) the correct item will be made. The order will have the same shipping speed as the original order. You should also note that, just like with returns, you only have a 30-day window to ask for a replacement.
Receive the wrong package from Amazon? Now you know that there is no need to worry. You easily get the item swapped for the right one. Alternatively, you can return the item and get a refund. One thing to note, whether getting a replacement or a refund, is that you only have a 30-day period to make a claim. You should, therefore, not hold on to the package for long; log in to your Amazon account and return it as soon as you can.